2 Chainz, Kid Ink, Lauren Jauregui, RJ, YG and more joined the Atlantic Records artist for a party on October 31. Writer Shirley Ju was on the scene and gave us a rundown of her favorite tracks from the album (ours is "Dawsin's Breek" ft. Jeremih). She also talked with a few insiders who provided their tips on succeeding in the entertainment industry.
Written By: Shirley Ju
November 7, 2017
It was the Monday before Halloween, or Halloween Eve, and 90% of the attendees had already decided what they were going to be for Ty Dolla $ign’s Beach House 3 Halloween Experience. The other 10%, which I fell under, pretended we didn’t see the “Costumes Encouraged” portion of the invite.
Just kidding. I knew this was a costume party. But at (almost) 27 years old, I still felt like I didn’t have the creative juices most people turned on every time this holiday came around. The worst part? I didn’t even have the time to dig through my closet for my cat ears. Did I even have cat ears? Who knows, but I was too busy to think about it. Fast forward to later that night and I found myself at 41 Ocean in Santa Monica, CA for Beach House 3. He just dropped his project on Friday, October 27 and my ears have never been so satisfied.
I used to always say “anything Ty$ touches is gold.” I stand by that today. Shout out to his publicist Aishah, who got me my first on-camera interview with Ty$ as soon as he started blowing up. 3 1/2 years later, I was attending his exclusive Halloween party with close friends and family.
I walked inside the spacious restaurant/lounge and finally made the connection: Beach House 3. This was on the beach. DUH. The Pacific Ocean was literally 500 feet away. Genius. There was an open bar, but at this age, all I could think about were the hours of sleep I was going to miss out on and the minutes I could shave off on my Google Maps route back to my apartment later that night.
Today, it was “Droptop In The Rain” featuring Tory Lanez. As soon as I entered the premises I was surrounded by family. Shout out to Ashlee and Jeremy, two of my absolute favorites, who I adore and trust with all my heart. The deeper I get in the industry, the more I realize who the real ones are.
Speaking of, you know you’re at the right spot if Monica Lin (@thundercup) is in attendance. She’s a marketing beast for Popular Demand. One day she shared some wisdom with me. She told me that she doesn’t go to everything (when it comes to events). She picks and chooses her battles. Once you gain a certain level of respect in the industry, your decisions matters. Where you choose to spend your time matters. Who you support matters. I asked Monica what advice she had for people who want to make it in the industry. Her response:
As the night went on, I was determined to find anything related to Beach House 3. I needed content. I needed to show I was here and I needed to promote his album. A little birdie told me there were posters laying on the tables in the main room. Mission accomplished. I then ran into Sarunas Jackson from Insecure. His response:
Celebrity guests 2 Chainz, Kid Ink, Lola Monroe, RJ, Wiz Khalifa, YG and many more were in the VIP section. So that’s where all the artists were hanging out all night. Got it. I only found this out because a random guy came up to me and asked for my wristband so that he could go back there.
But besides that unmemorable moment, Halloween night was a true celebration. Ty$'s DJ, Dre Sinatra, did an excellent job of hosting and playing Beach House 3 all the way through. The evening went on and “Love U Better” featuring Lil Wayne and The Dream could not have been more perfect for Ty$ and Jauregui as they stared into each other’s eyes. I’ve never seen him so happy in my life. He deserved this. Ty$ is an artist who locks himself in the studio and puts in the work without boasting he’s putting in the work. Ty$ is an artist who surrounds himself with a team that embodies the same drive and passion that he does. United, they have a vision, and the sky's the limit.
Speaking of, I also had the chance to catch up with Sophia Bacuros, Digital Marketing Manager at Warner Bros. Records. She said the same exact thing:
Shoutout to Atlantic Records, Shawn, Gary and my girl for helping me with solve the puzzle of what Ty$ was dressed up as: The Mad Hatter. As soon as that costume comes off, Ty$ will revert back to his true self: a superstar.